Purpose of study:
Learning a foreign language can be very liberating. Not only can it deepen a pupil’s understanding of the world, but it enables them to express themselves in another language and possibly equip them for future study or work in other countries.
The new National Curriculum aims for the following for our pupils:
- To understand, speak and write another language.
- To speak with increasing confidence.
- To hold a simple conversation involving both comments and questions.
- To improve pronunciation and intonation.
- To write simple phrases and sentences for a variety of audiences.
We therefore intend for pupils to focus on the following:
- To listen and show understanding by participating in conversations.
- To explore patterns of language through the appreciation of songs and rhymes.
- To speak in sentences expressing opinions through the confident use of familiar vocabulary.
- To develop accurate pronunciation to enable others to understand.
- To broaden their range of vocabulary.
- To write and speak simply about people and places.
- To understand basic grammar relevant to the language being taught – for example the gender of masculine and feminine nouns and the conjugation of verbs.
- To appreciate a little about the similarities and differences between the English and French languages and cultures.
Here at Lapworth CE Primary:
We have been following the core scheme of La Jolie Ronde supplemented with a range of additional age appropriate and fun filled resources to support and reinforce the work as required.
We also have additional resources such as Everyday French and Primary French to help with this as well as a range of age appropriate non -fiction French texts for pupils and staff to enjoy together. French is also woven into conversations and commands when possible to extend and reinforce vocabulary and general understanding. Puppets, drama, parachutes and the use of songs and poetry are intrinsic to the teaching.
Topics to be covered include the revision of the alphabet and placing words into alphabetical order, dictionary skills to assist with translation of words, conversations based around likes and dislikes and hobbies. There are also sections on such topics as the weather, the seasons, Christmas and Easter, colours, toys and the clothing.